Back to top

Independent Career Development Award (KL2)

What is the Independent Career Development Award (KL2)?

A critical function of the Clinical and Translational Science Institute at Children’s National (CTSI-CN) is to train highly motivated individuals from different disciplines with varied scholarly interests to conduct multidisciplinary clinical/patient-oriented research. This is one of several programs within the CTSI-CN and is called the Mentored Research Career Development Program Award (KL2). The CTSI-CN will make 1-3 KL2 awards annually.

The KL2 program recruits junior faculty early in their career who have demonstrated the aptitude and commitment to undertake multidisciplinary clinical and translational research (CTR). It is expected that the scholar will:

  • Devote 75% of his/her full-time professional effort to the KL2 program for the training and clinical research activities. This is based on the entire amount of time worked in a typical week. The remaining 25% effort can be divided among other clinical, administrative, and teaching responsibilities that are consistent with the proposed goals of the KL2 program. Sources of support for the 75% effort include the CTSI-CN funds of up to $75,000 per year. The department of the scholar must cover the difference, if any, between the available $75,000 and 75% of the scholar’s salary. The CTSI-CN will provide an additional $25,000 per year for KL2 program related educational and research expenses.
  • Obtain additional research training through participation in coursework, workshops, and/or individualized programs of study. This requirement can, for example, be met by enrolling in the CTSI-CN Master’s degree or Graduate Certificate in Clinical and Translational Research.
  • Engage in a multidisciplinary patient-oriented research relevant to KL2 program research interests.
  • Develop a mentorship team. The scholar must select a lead mentor who will have the overall responsibility for helping the scholar develop an independent career in clinical and translational research. The lead mentor will provide guidance to assure that the scholar’s projects are moving satisfactorily on the path to publications, presentations, and grant applications. The lead mentor will also ensure that 75% of the Scholar’s effort is protected from clinical and administrative duties and is fully dedicated to KL2 program. A co-mentor or mentors should be selected with the background required to assure multi-disciplinary input to the KL2 scholar. The mentors must have a demonstrated track record of successfully developing the career of junior colleagues. At least one of the mentors should have active peer reviewed funding which can help support the proposed research for the duration of the scholar’s funding if required.
  • Participate in the activities of the CTSI-CN and the CTSA National Consortium by presenting research results in various forums and assisting in the recruitment of additional trainees into the CTSI-CN supported educational and training programs.

Who is eligible?

Candidates for CTSI-CN KL2 awards must:

  • Be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident
  • Possess a doctoral degree (MD, PhD, PharmD, DMD, DDS, OD, DNS/PhD in nursing, etc.) and be a junior faculty (assistant professor, instructor or equivalent), either currently appointed or newly recruited (within the past 5 years).
  • Commit 75% of professional effort to the program
  • Not be or have been a principal investigator on an NIH R01 or equivalent PHS or non-PHS peer reviewed research grants that are over $100,000 in direct costs per year.
  • Develop a multidisciplinary education, training and research plan.
  • Commit to a career in patient-oriented research with past evidence of significant productivity and promise.
  • Commit to patient-oriented translational research training through the Master’s degree or Graduate Certificate in Clinical and Translational Research.
  • Have completed training in the Responsible Conduct of Research.
  • Make time commitment to actively participate in quarterly KL2 Special Interest Group (K-SIG) meetings.

Individuals from underrepresented minority groups and women are encouraged to apply.

How do I Apply?

For more information, please visit the CTSI-CN Faculty and Staff Directory and select the "KL2" service area to find the person(s) responsible for this resource.

Related Links